Wednesday 25 September 2013

Starting the clearout

On Saturday we held a Garage Sale.  As part of the plan to move to the Gold Coast, we need to downsize, MAJORLY!!  We have made a dreaming/planning board, and we are working towards moving!




We walked around the house, and tried to work out what was important enough to pay to move it to the Gold Coast, and what we could get rid of beforehand.  Being a list-maker, (and ever-efficient organiser, as my sister calls me in her blog Musings of a Muddled Mum ), I of course made lists


And then I went through my DVDs.....
Anyone who has known me for a while knows I love my DVDs.  I pride myself in having a very large collection, and absolutely love being able to lend people the movies that they have been wanting to see.  So to even think of culling my DVD collection caused major anxiety for me.  But I did it, and we had around 300 DVDs to sell


I did my research on Pinterest, and made sure I knew all the tricks to having a successful Garage Sale.  I made sure that prices were clearly labelled on all the smaller items, with a list on the wall for everyone to see of the prices of the larger things.  

I have had Garage Sales in the past, and barely sold anything, and I spent the day running around answering questions and having extremely rude offers on my precious things....
This time was going to be different.

And I am so happy to say it was.

The people turned up earlier than I advertised, but I expected that.
If people balked at any of the prices, I was able to offer to barter if I felt comfortable.
I had another dear friend selling her beautiful designer clothes, so in the lulls I had great conversations learning more about her.

And we sold our stuff!   There was so much left at the end that I am not really sure what it is that we sold, but the money we counted at the end told a different story.  Happily, the cost of the move ($3-4 thousand!!) is a little more dealt with, less to move and some money towards it.

So now I hope that we get a job really soon, and that I can continue to sell our stuff on Gumtree.  I've got momentum now, and the downsizing is feeling really positive, so hopefully it continues to go this well!

No comments:

Post a Comment